Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 17:42:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        perlsta@sunyit.edu (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: implementing linux's clone()

Alfred Perlstein said:
> hmmm very interesting, thank you.
>
> before i cvsup to -current i was wondering if the fuction is "clone-like"
> or really just like clone(), will i be disapointed by its functionality
> because of what i need from it?

It is still not in it's final form.  It is usable, and is being used
commercially by my employer though.

> and what do you mean, you have to be careful what you pass it on the stack?

Simply that setting the stack is tricky, since it isn't done in the kernel.
Using the memory sharing capability with RFMEM is tricky because of the
stack issues.

> that doesn't mean you can crash BSD with an innapropriate call does it?

No.

> just that if you give bad args your program will segfault or something?

It means that my rf.S example code is the way to set the stack.

> also, if i modded the below asm stuff not to __exit after return would that
> "work" or is there something i'm not seeing?

I am not sure.

> and what is the "arg"
> parameter, a pointer to the thread function's arguments?

Yes.

I haven't documented things in detail, because frankly, other things have
gotten in the way of our pthreads stuff, and I have held-up someone else
who has been working on a real pthreads capability.