Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 15:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brian@MediaCity.com (Brian Litzinger)
To:        nik@blueberry.co.uk (Nik Clayton)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pentiums and cache problems

> How do,

> Can anyone provide technical information as to the nature of the
> problems concerning some motherboards and the processor cache?

> My Pentium (100Mhz) has two caches, one external, one internal.

> During my intial install of FreeBSD, they were both on. The install
> would randomly reboot at about halfway through. Turning off the external
> cache fixed this problem.

Amazing.  Just yesterday, I switched off the external cache on my
Pentium 90 machine, which occasionally rebooted, and now its solid
like a rock.

The problem manifests itself as just a simple reboot (no panic, no crash)
during extensive disk activity (building kernel or hylafax).

On lotsa different motherboards (though all PCI). I'm
using adaptec 2940W SCSI controller.

> I know that if I turn around to my motherboard supplier they'll say "It
> works find under DOS/Windows/OS2/Linux, prove it's a bug in our
> motherboard". So can anyone provide me with technical information that I
> can give the manufacturer and say "fix this"?

I'd love to hear this too.

Brian Litzinger
brian@easynet.com