Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:03:38 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, kleon@bellsouth.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook - ascii form??

[cc'd also to -questions & -doc]

> On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > OK, there's one problem with that.  I think that the ftp server is letting
> > folks download handbook.ascii as ascii text, which is eating the backspace
> > keys.  Gotta download this as binary!
>
> That's right, if it's downloaded as a binary file it retains the ^H etc.
> formatting codes; otherwise it doesn't.

Which brings us back to the question.  Why does .ascii have non-ascii
characters.  A diff between .latin1 and .ascii says that only the
'-' at the end of lines is missing in the .ascii version :(  Surely
.latin1 should have the overstrikes and .ascii shouldn't ?

Is this a "sgml" bug ?

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;