Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:40:08 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Richard Caley <richard@caley.org.uk>
Cc:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or DesktopOS?)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Richard Caley wrote:

> > > A fix to somethign deep in ther kernel which is not
> > > biteing many people?
>
> > This is something for the commiters to decide and not me.
>
> Indeed. Isn't the point of this thread, if any, that Marc Fournier was
> complaining that a patch to the VM system was not put onto the RELEASE
> branch.

Nope, actually .. I don't want to run -RELEASE ... I want, and am willing
to, run -STABLE with the obvious risks involved ... if I can trigger a bug
in the kernel running it on a heavily loaded server, then chances are
someone else has that same risk, albeit lower, on their server ...

If that bug can be investigated and fixed in relatively short order, it
would make it easier for others to have confidence in running -STABLE,
giving a broader testing base, and would make for shorter -PRERELEASE
periods since its gettng more long term testing ...

Hell, I'm not even asking for -STABLE to last longer then 30 days ... if I
can get 30 days uptime out of a -STABLE kernel, I'd be happy, cause after
that I'm going to upgrade the server again anyway, and start with new
potential bugs ...

Basically, I'm willing to provide highly intensive, heavily load, long
term testing of -STABLE on two servers whose loadavg's are known to reach
into the triple digits and still perform (I've seen it hit 999 and be able
to still type, albeit *very* slowly ... if I had thorugh to use killall, I
probably could have even saved a reboot) ... and I'm willing to patiently
wait for an hour or two for it to dump core when it does crash ... the
question is, though ... is anyone prepared to look at those cores?

And *that* is what this whole thread has been about ...