Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:19:18 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Subject:   Re: New ISDN driver

On Saturday 13 August 2005 13:12, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:36:25 +0200 (CEST)
>
> hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis) wrote:
> > I'm really tired of this subject and wasting time writing mail on this
> > back and forth and back and forth.
>
> Do you have archives of this? Would it be possible to make them public
> (if Hans-Peter agrees)?

=46rom what I can remember, there was an issue about the use of macros to=20
generate code. That is no longer done. Instead the code looks almost like t=
he=20
drivers in i4b/layer1/isic/ ... Though I still use macros to generate data=
=20
structures and do some initializing, to make updating as easy and error les=
s=20
as possible, but I see no problem about that.

=46or example in "/sys/i4b/include/capi20.h" I use macros to generate most =
of=20
the CAPI structures. This allows the users to also generate structures=20
without having to use any additional script. Maybe I could have used a scri=
pt=20
like awk to do this, but then the file gets "n" times larger. But once you=
=20
get used to "YES", "NO" and "NOT", and understand what these macro building=
=20
blocks really do, it is very easy to understand.

If you want to see what "capi20.h" really contains, use:

cpp capi20.h | sed -e 'y/;/\n/' | more

Another issue was Paul Henning complaining about the use of "goto *(ptr)".=
=20
This is no longer used, and that part of the driver has been completely=20
rewritten.

Then the unresolved issue is to create a patch-set consisting of=20
self-contained patches that will update the official version of I4B. I=20
question wether this is possible. You have to do a larger "update" in one=20
commit, and maybe FreeBSD 7 current is a good place to do this "update"?

=2D-HPS