Date:      Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:10:37 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        python <python@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Python distribution: switching to tar.xz

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>:

> Hello,
>
> The python.org ftp provides lang/pythonXX source tarballs in a many formats:
> - tar.bz2
> - tar.xz
> - tgz
>
> Using .tgz is not in sports-way this days, so I'd prefer to use
> tar.xz for new versions. But I can't actually choose there because
> tarball format is hardcoded in Mk/bsd.python.mk as PYTHON_DISTFILE
> variable:
>
> PYTHON_DISTFILE=			Python-${PYTHON_PORTVERSION:S/.rc/rc/}.tgz
>
> And in particular python port we have this:
>
> DISTFILES=	${PYTHON_DISTFILE}
>
> Since I can't just choose tar.xz for some new python33 port, I
> suggest to change PYTHON_DISTFILE to use tar.xz and to change all
> the distinfos for lang/pythonXX (with changing SHA256/SIZE fields).
> What do you think?

I would rather see PYTHON_DISTFILE removed from bsd.python.mk and
being moved back
to the individual ports instead. Or, to stay compatible for whatever
reason, change
it to PYTHON_DISTFILE?= ..., so ports can override it.

Or, even better in making things complicated, change it to

PYTHON_DISTFILE = ${PYTHON_IMPLTYPE}_${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}

;-)

Cheers
Marcus