Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:15:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RFC: moving NFSv4.1 client from projects to head

Hi,

I've been working on NFSv4.1 client support for FreeBSD
for some time now and known issues from testing at a
Bakeathon last June have been resolved. The patch is
rather big, but I believe it should not affect the
client unless the new mount options:
  minorversion=1,pnfs
are used for an nfsv4 mount.

Since I don't believe that the new NFS client will be
affected unless these new mount options are used, I think
it could go into head now. On the other hand, there are few
NFSv4.1 servers currently available, so it might not yet
be widely useful. (See below for slides w.r.t. server availability.)

How do folks feel about doing this in early December?

Since it doesn't change any KBIs, it could also be MFC'd
to stable/9. Would MFC'ing it to stable/9 make sense?

For those interested in testing and/or reviewing it,
the code is currently in:
  base/projects/nfsv4.1-client
  (It is purely a kernel patch.)
Also, the current state of NFSv4.1 servers is roughly:
  http://www.pnfs.com/docs/LISA-11-pNFS-BoF-final.pdf

Thanks in advance for any comments, rick