Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 17:21:42 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        Felix <felix@isot.com>, FreeBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ascend Max4048 Radius

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 02:48:58PM -0500, Felix wrote:
> We're running FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE w/ Ascend Radius.  Everything seems to
> work ok with USR TotalControl box, but with Ascend Max4048 box strange
> things happen and need some assistance.
>
> When we dial in with Win95/98 workstations, many times it gets to a point
> "Verifying username and password", and then hangs up with "Cannot negociate
> dialup network protocols".  If we keep trying, we eventually gets in, say
> maybe 1 out of 7 tries.  And sometimes, it doesn't even get to the point
> "verifying username and password", and it hangs up with "Server is not
> answering" eventhough I can hear connecting sound and all.
>
> We didn't have this problem with USR TC box, it all started when we added
> the Ascend Max4048.  Seems the Ascend Radius damon works well with USR but
> not with Ascend.

Silly question: Are you sure it's the radius?  The "Verifying username
and password" is pretty bogus -- it can mean lots of things, including
that fact that your customer may be having a hard time synching with
your MAX.  My guess is that it's a modem compatibility problem and has
nothing to do with radius.

I've never used the TC boxes before.  I've heard bad things about them
(like the lack of OSPF), but one nice thing I've heard about them is
that the modems are *rock solid*.  Seems like everyone with can
connect to them.

--Mark