Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2003 03:45:53 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Opteron Server with -STABLE ...

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:03:48PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Is there a current opinion on this?  I heard that costs have come down to
> 'close to dual xeon' prices, but is it safe to run -STABLE on it?  Other
> then memory allocation above 4g, are we seeing any benefits right now with
> running this?  Or are we dealin with 'running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit
> arch' still?

FreeBSD 4.x has no support for running on Opterons in 64-bit mode, and
probably never will.
5.x does have some support but I have the impression it is not quite
production-quality yet.

If you want to run -STABLE on Opterons right now it would have to run
in 32-bit mode, and thus not be much different from running on Xeons.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson