Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:00:59 GMT
From:      Brett Wynkoop <wynkoop@wynn.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/74607: FreeBSD 5.3 install CD crashes on SCSI device probe

The following reply was made to PR kern/74607; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brett Wynkoop <wynkoop@wynn.com>
To: Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:53:09 -0500

 On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:52:36 -0700
 Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org> wrote:

 > Try booting the following:
 >
 > Start the install CD.  At the boot loader, hit option '6' to escape to
 > the boot prompt.  Enter the following:
 >
 > set vm.old_contigmalloc=1
 > boot
 >
 > If that works, you'll want to try updating to the latest RELENG_5
 > sources.
 >
 > Scott

 Well that seems to have done the trick.  I guess this is related to
 something already found based on the quick idea for the fix.

 I do not currently have a running 5.x system.  I was going to make a
 spare laptop my first system, but it seems that 5.x dislikes the PCMCIA
 ports on all 6 laptops I tried! So.......Any upgrade to RELENG_5, or
 even 5.3 on the desktop will be on hold.  Thanks.  When I do get to
 RELENG_5 I will let you know how it works.

 -Brett