Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 15:24:10 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        nacai@iname.com, imura@cs.titech.ac.jp, ports@freebsd.org, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to start gnome/kde

On 1999-07-29 15:33 -0700, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I decided to try gnome/kde and had a hell of a time trying to figure
> out how to start them.  Their homepages (www.kde.org, www.gnome.org)
> have users' guides but they basically assume that you've got an
> installation that starts them up by default.

Hmmm, there are several ways to start them. In the case of KDE,
you can have the KDE Login Manager (KDM) accept the user ID and
password, or you can have a traditional XDM and put startkde into
your .xsession file. And finally, you can have a text login and
manually invoke X11 and KDE (though I doubt many people start KDE
that way).

> Do you mind if I add something like "Use {kde,gnome-session} to start"
> in their respective pkg/DESCRs?

No, sure, go for it. Let me know if I can help. For KDE, the default
method is to have

	${PREFIX}/bin/startkde

take care of starting all the daemons in the correct order and
with a little irelative delay. The latter has been claimed to be
of advantage under Linux, but I honestly don't think this is
really true under FreeBSD, at least on the systems I tried it on.

I think we should refer the user to optionally start kdm from
the local rc.d directory. (With xdm disabled, of course.)

We should use startkde for the session, but I may add a patch to
the port, which minimizes startup time on my (average, I assume ;-)
system.

Regards, STefan