Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 20:54:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PREFIX with X11 ports

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> There is an environment variqable (whose name I can't remember off the top of
> my head) that allows you to change the search path for application defaults.
> It maube worthwhile setting that in say, /etc/profile & /etc/cshrc.

I went looking for this, and found XAPPLRESDIR as an environmental
variable that tells programs where to look for their data.  This value
is relative to the XFILESEARCHPATH variable, which specifies the top of
the X11 file search path.  An additional single file, specified by
XENVIRONMENT, gives the name of a file for per user initialization.

There is one variable I've found, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH, that seems ideally
useable as a method of moving the defaults stuff where we want it.
To get the X11 stuff located outside the X11R6 tree, we'd have to specify
that users set this to some path with our FreeBSD/Ports blessed defaults
location.  I've already shown Satoshi that I can make imake put files
right where I want them and even handle the man page compression right
(conditionally based on NOMANCOMPRESS).  I can do what you asked for,
Satoshi.  Let me know the name of the variables you want to use, I'll hack
bsd.port.mk on my system only, for a X test, and install a LOAD of x11
test cases, to prove this will really work.  I'll give the results back to
this list, where the results can be reviewed.  OK?

Of course, this all depends on relying on the user to set
XUSERFILESEARCHPATH where we tell them to.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |