Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:54:02 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        behanna@zbzoom.net, grog@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [stable] Re: RAID5

>> Interestingly, CPU isn't the performance issue most people (myself
>> once included) assume it is.  Even on my original Vinum testbed, a
>> 468/66, CPU usage was barely measurable.  That's probably why most
>> hardware RAID controllers use relatively slow CPUs.

Pete> Interesting comment. I have acciddentally acquired apair of
Pete> SMART 2SL controllers. One of which I am using as the boot
Pete> device for the FreeBSD box (because iits theonly disc controller
Pete> I've got - RAID 0). The other I was going to use to build an
Pete> array, but I am having trouble finding any comoparative
Pete> benchmarks as to how slow certain combinations of drives are
Pete> under RAID-5. Are their certain numbers that make the processing
Pete> "easier" for the onboard chip ? (*i.e. does 5 discs make life
Pete> for it faster as it can split a byte onto 4 platters and
Pete> allocate one for parity rather than dooing shifts all over the
Pete> place ?) or is it best to just give it as many dricves as
Pete> possible (8 in this case).

AFAIK, no sane RAID implementation split data at the bit level.  Most
split the data in "chunks" ... I say chunks because the split
granularity can be larger or smaller than blocks, although it is most
commonly multiple blocks.

Some of the performance constraints that I observe in hardware raid
controllers are aparently (others have told me this) due to the fact
that they can only do IO operations in whole chunks.  They typically
want small chunks (1K ... 4K ... 8K ... something along those lines).

There is a good discussion of chunk size in the vinum manual.  Vinum
recomends chunks of even 512K or more.

Anyways... back to the striping... whatever raid your doing is striped
at the "chunk" level.  RAID does not break up your 8K request by
delivering every 8th byte to one of your 8 drives... the 8K request
goes directly to one or more chunks in a linear fashion.

(Keep in mind that high performance on a RAID system often requires
many busy tasks, not just one).

Dave.