Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 18:08:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ivan Pulleyn <ivan@torpid.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   atapi.c

Hi,

  While attempting to make my el-cheapo ide cdrom work with FreeBSD, I
noticed the following problem with atapi.c. During atapi_probe(), an
atapi_wait() is called before sending an identify request to the device.
This causes a busy timeout if the cdrom is the only device on the controller.
Removing the following lines seemed to fix it for me ( using 2.1.5-RELEASE
sources ).

  If other people are having problems with ATAPI cdroms, I suggest trying
this out.

Ivan...

/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/atapi.c
321,327d320
< 	/* Wait for controller not busy. */
< 	if (atapi_wait (port, 0) < 0) {
< 		print (("atapiX.%d at 0x%x: controller busy, status=%b\n",
< 			unit, port, inb (port + AR_STATUS), ARS_BITS));
< 		return (0);
< 	}
<

--
Ivan Pulleyn        work: Millennium Computer  home:  44 Anthony Street
ivan@torpid.com           2851 Clover Street          Rochester, NY 14619