Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 00:42:50 +0100
From:      Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: prism 2.5 timeout in wi_cmd 0x010b

On Sunday 11 January 2004 23:00, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> probably said:
> > You really really really want to be using 1.4.5 firmware.  Older
> > firmware is known to be buggy.
>
> I've got newer firmware but no way to actually upgrade it. IBM
> doesn;t supply a meanthod to upgrade to anythig newer than I have
> installed...
>
> Got an installer ?

On my Prism 2.5 mini-PCI card I managed to upgrade the firmware to
1.1.1 / 1.7.4 using the utilities found here:

http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

First of all, you'll have to boot a M$ OS and install the winupdate
utility. Next, in the NIC driver disable the "firmware download"
option, as it temporarily loads a new firmware in the NIC RAM, which
seems to prevent firmware updates to flash to succeed. You'll have to
shut down the machine in order to force a full reset of the NIC.

I was kind of paranosic in choosing the appropriate primary / station
code, but have latter learned that the "winupdate" utility was smart
enough to prevent me from flashing the card with an unappropriate code.

Good luck,

Marko