Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:51:33 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, ticso@cicely.de, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: readv: parallel or sequential?

--nextPart1325381.rZX7Dr3quE

> multiple reads and writes to the same file *From different file
> descriptors* (same process or not) might proceed in "parallel" but readv
> and writev will be implemented serially to the filesystem. now IF THE
> FILESYSTEM IS NOT DOING SYNCHRONOUS DISK ACCESSES the reads and writes
> might proceed in parallel or be grouped, clustered or otherwise rearanged.

If the original claims were just as applied to readv/writev, I don't really=
=20
have a problem since there is no guarantee that it will be performed in=20
parallel (though even then, assuming non-synchronous writes, it would=20
certainly be nice if it did pass it along to the device layer in a fashion=
=20
that allowed concurrency).

But when I/O is clearly being done with the intent of concurrency (by using=
=20
AIO or by performing the I/O in different threads/processes), it is more=20
important.

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'