Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:29:05 +0200
From:      Flemming Jacobsen <fj@batmule.dk>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: `zpool create' fails on geli ...

Fabian Keil wrote:
> Zeus Panchenko <zeus@ibs.dn.ua> wrote:
> > geli init -K /path/key -s 4096 -e aes-xts /dev/adaX
>
> Does your disk actually use 4k sectors? Otherwise it's not clear
> to me that "-s 4096" makes sense when using ZFS.
>
> I'm not claiming that it's obviously wrong, but I'm not aware of
> any benchmarks that show that it's better than the default in
> any way.

It is my understanding that creating a 4K setup will prepare you
for the day when your replacement drive is a 4K one.
No benefit today, but also no real performance hit. And we avoid
a real performance hit later.

If I am mistaken, then I wold love to hear about it.

Regards,
Flemming

--
Flemming Jacobsen                                  Email: fj@batmule.dk

"I don't need The Media to tell me that I should be outraged about a
brutal murder. All I need is to be informed that it has happened, and
I'll form my own opinion about it."
-- The_Morlock (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00%2F02%2F21%2F1125208)