Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:34:39 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, admin@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Subject:   Re: passwd (still) broken in NIS environments

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr wrote:
> > Do you have the same crypting algorithm on both ends ?
> > (FreeBSD recently went to MD5 as a standard - Solaris most
> > likely is still using DES)
>
> Yes, the Solaris NIS Server is using DES. However, as we don't have
> problems logging in, just changing passwords, I assume this isn't the
> reason?
>
> Or does passwd use MD5 nevertheless?? That might be an explanation!

passwd uses whatever format you specified in /etc/login.conf for that
users login class...
Since the default crypt has been changing around with export restrictions
being lifted etc. You should just put that you want DES in there...

put in the line ":passwd_format=des:\" under "default:\"

Good Luck!