Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:30:59 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

> Speaking of marketing, EISA was always positioned as the high-end board
> for SERVERS, so both the motherboard and cards were always more
> expensive.  Only a few high-end desktop machines (e.g. Compaq, which I

Well, yes, but that was true really only at the very beginning, when
Mylex was king (I know, I had one of their MBs). It wasn't too much
longer until you could get a number of clone EISA MBs (and cheaper
SCSI controllers) that made EISA very attractive - 2 of my 486
machines are EISA.

> system, I didn't have to rock them back and forth or hear (beep-beep
> beep-beep-beep-beep) from my AMI BIOS when they weren't plugged in all
> the way!  :-) :-)  Actually, I felt like an idiot when a MAC user, of all

I'm just glad that #9 put that little LED on their VLB card that lit
up red when it wasn't happy - now I wonder why they did that? :-)

> Well, what they should've done is fix the Zorro bus in the Amiga, and
> then things would've been perfect.  They had AutoConfig since 1986,
> man...  <Amiga bitterness mode off..>  ;-)

I gave my A2500 away last year to someone who actually had the time
to use it.. :-)

						Jordan