Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:06:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post-install of kernal sources, maxusers max?

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Len Conrad wrote:

> All I need to change, I think, is maxusers since we're getting this
> error from postfix:
>
> Nov  8 04:59:41 postfix/qmgr[16383]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
> Nov  8 04:59:41 postfix/smtp[16872]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
> Nov  8 05:00:58 postfix/qmgr[16876]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available

You're running out of send/recvspace or your ethernet is maxed out.

net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 16384
net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 16384

Try tweaking these values.  You should also bump
maxusers/nmbcluters/nmbufs so you're using about 20-30% nominally.  Also
make sure you're using full duplex links and you're not seeing excessive
errors/collisions.

I'd have to watch 'systat -vm' to check for some of the more remote
problems ...

> The machine can get up 200 SMTP processes and 50 SMTPD processes
> simulatenously, 256 meg RAM.

Small processes.

> On the postfix list, it seems someone has heard from several FreeBSD
> "experts" that FreeBSD should not be run at above maxusers = 128,
> while somebody else said they were running with 256 happily.

Depends on the release... I would not go above 256.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org