Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 1996 22:49:17 -0700
From:      Steven Wallace <swallace@ece.uci.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Object directory changes to make

I installed the latest snapshot recently and noticed that make
no longer changes to the obj or obj.i386 relative to the cwd.
I did notice it now will change to /usr/obj/`cwd`, if it exists.

I like the new functionality for building the source trees, but
I do not like removing the old functionality either.  Therefore,
I made changes to make so that it will accompish both.

First make will search for MAKEOBJDIR.machine, then MAKEOBJDIR,
as previously done.  Then if both failed it will search for
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX/`cwd`/machine and then MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX/`cwd`.
If all fails the cwd is used.

My improvements to make are in ~swallace/work/make (main.c and pathname.h).
If no one has any objections in the next few days, I will commit these
changes.

Steven