Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 1999 00:40:08 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@cichlids.com>, Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: this of interest to anyone?

Mike Smith wrote:

> > The kernel that made the problem is 2 days old. (From Wednesday).
> > Actually, I even canīt compile a new kernel/world, cause it reboots and
> > hangs all the time.
>
> Welcome to -current.  Time to learn about keeping a working kernel
> around at all times.

I'll reiterate that.  I'm sorry you're having trouble, but this is the very
reason why we scream out very loudly and clearly that current is for
developers and people who are prepared to live on the bleeding edge and
know how to deal with problems or back out when they run into trouble.

A few key suggestions for people still along for the ride:

1: When you've got a good running kernel that you're happy with, do yourself
a big favour and copy it from /kernel to /kernel.ok or something like that.
So, when you manage to get a bad /kernel and /kernel.old, you've still got
a fallback that doesn't mean resorting to a fixit disk boot.

2: at least try and keep tabs on the current mailing list.  Even if you
don't pay a lot of attention, look for 'HEADS_UP' warnings and people having
trouble.  It's always a good idea to to a skim before a kernel rebuild or
make world.

3: Always keep tabs on your cvsup log.  If you see a lot of commits
to the kernel (src/sys), make *sure* you're up to date on current mail.
It often pays to let the dust settle.

This doesn't mean it's OK for committers to screw things up for fun, but
we're only human.  We do try and keep it in fairly good condition
(remember, the developers depend on it working for development), but
mistakes happen..

Cheers,
-Peter