Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 01:36:57 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        "Andrew G. Russell" <arussell@tyr.agrknives.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: attack or failure

David G Andersen scribbled this message on May 19:
> More sophisticated recovery techniques exist, if there's anything critical
> on the system or you really want to find out what's going on.  This'll get
> you 90% of what's there with little effort, though.

I'm not sure how my program (ffsrecov in ports) handles deleted files
(which it sounds like it is)...  but it might help you to recover some
data files... just as long as the directory bit hasn't been cleared on
the inode...

be warned though, right now I'm mmap'ing the file to do the work which
means that you are seriously limited on the file system size, no 4gig
fs's for this unless you're on an Alpha..  I haven't tested how large
it can, but I've used it successfully for a 1.8gig fs...

and right now ffsrecov doesn't open the file system for writing, so it
won't cause any more damage... it's just made for extracting data from
the file system...  if you have any more ideas for ways of pulling data
out of the file system, I'd like to know...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson