Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OT: FTP almost gone now? (was: Re: IPFW almost works now.)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Jamie Norwood wrote:
> My main concern is the facts that, first off, HTTP doesn't, in most of it's
> current incarnations (Both client, and server), have an easy and sane way
> to handle uploading files, securely or otherwise.

WebDAV.  There is excellent support for it in multiple web servers,
libraries for it in multiple languages, and excellent command-line and
graphical client-side support, especially on MS Windows where it's the
protocol behind Explorer's "Web Folders" concept.  People can just drag
and drop to upload to a server.  Works over SSL and with password auth, so
you get your security there.  Webdav has a versioning extension we're
using as the basis for our Subversion project, at
http://subversion.tigris.org/.  Get more info on webdav at
http://www.webdav.org/.

> My secondary concern is ease of use.

I'll have to leave it up to folks to decide that for themselves whether
the webdav clients meet their needs.

> Tertiarily, there is the concept of statefulness. HTTP is stateless, which
> is well and good for people behind firewalls and such, but FTP is stateful.
> This allows us to be MUCH more interactive with the server.

HTTP maintains state a number of ways, and has no problem being
"interactive", for whatever that means in the FTP case.

	Brian