Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2017 11:13:20 +0200
From:      Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam on -ports

On 27.10.17 01:24, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 07:50:40AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> Is it official FreeBSD policy to allow spammers free reign on this
>> list, or is the list owner merely incompetent?
> or is it 3) spam is a never-ending arms race, and the volunteers are
> struggling to keep up?
It is and low latency human moderation of all mailinglists is an
unrealistic expectation.
> Honestly, I do not understand why people make posts like this.
Most precise low maintenance spam filtering works on meta that gets
mangled too badly by mailing lists to be usable afterwards. From the
point of view of spam filters the messages relayed by the mailing list
originate in from a valid MX of freebsd.org. Combining a strict postfix
setup with postscreen and postgrey solved the spam problem for my
domains with one exception: the FreeBSD mailing lists. To keep the
signal to noise ratio on those acceptable I had to deploy a content
based spam filter and have not yet found a good enough configuration for
it. While not fair it is very tempting to blame the operators and I'm
surprised how some spam campaigns manage to get unchanged content
relayed through the FreeBSD mailing lists for months.
> Speaking as someone who, behind the scenes, helps people try to stay
> motivated, all you're doing is make other people's lives miserable --
> including mine.
I would like to help fighting the spam problem on the FreeBSD.org
mailing lists. Can you put me in contact with the right people?

-- Jan Bramkamp