Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 05:27:23 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Setup

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 09:58:41AM -0500, John wrote:

| I just tried to email directly to me@ip, and this is the error message back:
|
| ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
| <me@insert.my.ip.here>
| ----- Transcript of session follows -----
| 550 <me@insert.my.ip.here>... Host unknown (Name server: insert.my.ip.here:
| host not found)
|
| Something else I found interesting... apparently, while mail delivery was
| being attempted, I got the following line in /var/log/messages:
|
| Dec 16 09:42:31 merlin sshd[60534]: DNS lookup failed for "207.103.119.114".

Sendmail does both a forward (i.e. hostname to IP) and reverse lookup
(i.e. IP to hostname) to find out who's talking to it's smtp listener.
Have you set your reverse zone files up?

If you do from the university machines a lookup for your.host.name you
should get your IP address, and if you do a lookup for 1.2.3.4
(assuming that this is your IP address) you should get back as a reply
from your name server your hostname.

| I tried to do an nslookup from both my machine, and the uni's name server,
| and both failed to do a lookup.  That 207.103.x.x is also not part of the
| university's domain.

Does it happen that it's part of _your_ domain?

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]