Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:23:34 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Marijn Meijles <marijn@gewis.win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/10281: Crash of 3.1-STABLE system due to scsi error.

Marijn Meijles wrote:

>  > If you're getting crashes, it would help immensely if you could provide a
>  > stack trace from the panic.
>  >
>  Yup, I know. I've instructed the guys at the university to write down
>  everything, but the crash of today just showed this and no panic. you
>  could only ping and it had to be rebooted.

Actually, a stack trace is a little move complex than simply writing
down everything. You have to make a kernel with debug symbols,
install a stripped version of it, enable core dumps, and then run
gdb to get the trace. Or you could enable the kernel debugger and
get the trace at the time the crash happens.

Either way, the handbook is your friend. There are sections on it
describing exactly how you go about this.

While it certainly is a pain to the uninitiated, it is invaluable in
tracking bugs.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker."