Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:47:29 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 and intel graphics

Hi,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 23:29:28 -0700
Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs> wrote:
>
> I always remind folks to blow out the heat sink on laptops about one a
> year. Dust is a great insulator and laptops often collect a lot more

I never did this on a laptop as all of mine where build in a way that
dust could not collect. So, it depends very much on the model.

> dust than office systems, though my office system started dying during
> buildworld last week and blowing out the CPU heat sink fixed it up,
> but it had been sitting around for almost three years collecting dust.

I do this every year on my desktop. The temperature drops then by 10K.

You can use the CPU temperature as an indicator when a cleaning is
needed.

But blowing does not work on my machine. I really have to take screw
driver and tweezers to get the work finally done.

Erich