Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:40:56 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@dwlabs.ca>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gconf2 and openldap

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:40:42PM -0300, Duane Whitty wrote:
> Not sure I understand why gconf would have a dependency on ldap.

After reading the gconftools-2 man page, am I understanding
correctly that gconf can use openldap for its schema storage,
thus providing a distributed configuration environment?

This in a way seems like something I read about for using ldap
as an inventory management system.

So, noticing firefox uses gconf at runtime, this could mean then
that firefox could ask gconf to get configuration preferences
for the current user from anywhere on the network, using ldap, which would
be useful for diskless clients, for example?

Best Regards,

Duane Whitty