Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 01:44:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Subject:   Re: lang/gcc46 dependency loop on lang/gcc

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, Doug Barton wrote:
> This would seem to be an error in the bsd.gcc.mk logic, or perhaps
> an error in one of the ports' Makefiles, not sure yet. Any chance
> you could look into this?

I had done that when Robert contacted me first and could not find
anything.

Any chance portmaster could tell us where the loop comes from?  I
looked at the -v option, but that one did not seem to provide this
information and I feel stuck right now.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, David Wolfskill wrote:
> FWIW, on the machine on which I'm writing this note, I successfully
> performed an:
>
>         Upgrade of gcc-4.6.4.20120608 to gcc-4.6.4.20120817

Thanks for the confirmation, David.

Is it possible you have some special setting somewhere, Robert,
like USE_GCC=... as a global setting somewhere?

(Though, shouldn't even that work with portmaster assuming that this
part of the process, forcing deinstallation of the old version and
installing a new package, does not depend on "any" other ports?)

Gerald