Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:50:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

>Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:55:37 -0400
>From: Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
>To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
>CC: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated
>
>There is a way to accomplish this. It requires 2 computers.
>The first is your server, the second is a terminal computer.
>You never log into the actual server, but the terminal
>computer is connected via serial line to the server to
>act as a console. This way, you can reboot and everything
>over an ssh connection and you see what's going on just as
>if you were sitting right at it.

I guess I should've mentioned:  No serial-port access... :-/
It appears that installation requires console-mode.  I guess
now the question distills to "how to go to/from single-user
mode remotely over ssh?"  Or, perhaps rephrasing, "how do I
accomplish installworld & install-kernel Truly Safely(tm)?" :)

>-Bill

-kc