Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 1998 06:13:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on one floppy... sure.

> So, after a sleepless night I now have a floppy, which boots cut down
> GENERIC kernel (only the most popular drivers) and also contains ca. 60
> utilities, among them ppp, ftp, telnet, ssh (I know, it's not BSD license,
> but I needed it :-), basic filesystem utilities (disklabel, newfs, cp, mv,
> rm, mkdir, mount_*), ee to edit config files, tar, gzip, route & ifconfig
> (to use ethernet interfaces) and quite a bunch of others. BTW, it runs
> multiuser, and you also have getty's on several vtys...

Neat!

> There are some drawbacks to it, though: I was short of space to put passwd
> on it, so there are only predefined passwords. If you have any idea how to

How about a small more stand-alone password editing utility, bundled
with your tools?  Do you crunch all the tools together?  I assume you
do, and if so such a tool should represent a very small size increment
if you keep it simple.

> force login (i.e. libc) NOT to use hashed db files (which are monstruous -
> over 80kB), I'll be very thankful. I'd rather not use mfs, because it
> raises the memory footprint - this version would run quite well on machine
> with 5MB RAM. The second disadvantage is that kernel is kzip'ped and I
> cannot dset the changes from userconfig... pity :-(

There's always another possibility: Don't compile the kernel with
VISUAL_USERCONFIG, compile it with your own kernel config utility
(which you can patch into the chroot tree using the LOCAL_PATCHES
variable) which takes advantage of the fact that you're only compiling
a more limited GENERIC with "popular" cards and don't need to do so
much dialog with the user.  Once you have all the information you'd
like to "dset" into the kernel, as the very last thing in your own
userconfig function you'll write the data onto the floppy as a
/kernel.config file which contains lines like this:

	USERCONFIG
	port ed0 0x300
	flags ed0 0x4
	iomem ed0 0xcc000
	irq ed0 10
	disable ep0
	disable aha0
	quit

And next time the user boots, this will happen without manual
intervention.  Of course, you have to either figure out how to open a
file on the floppy device from within the kernel and do I/O to it
(messy) or you need to leave this data somewhere so that your init(8)
replacement can detect it and write it out upon coming up.

					Jordan