Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:58:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        gtk <orb451@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel In Business NIC (SA101TX)

I think your kernel config is a bit odd.  I am not sure how you got that
information.  You should be able to simply use this line on 3.x box...

device          fxp0   # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)

That is what I have in my kernel config and it works just fine.  Here is a
command I just ran...

> ifconfig -lu
xl0 fxp0 fxp1 lo0

You can see I have one 3Com XL card and the 2 Intel cards in there.  But
this in a on a maching running 3.5-STABLE.  I have another box with
4.1-RELEASE.  Here is what it has in the kernel config.

device          fxp   # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)

It is slightly different, but you will notice I am not trying to hard code
the memory address.  And this server has 3 Intel cards.

> ifconfig -lu
fxp0 fxp1 fxp2 lo0

This server is also a SMP enable box with the settings for SMP hard coded
into the kernel config.  Later after I put this server in place I found
that you can simply leave off the specifics and it will take care of it
for you during the boot process.  Some may see a value in hard coding it,
but I tend to see it working via autodetect better than not being able to
get it working at all.

Much has changed in the 4.x branch.  I just installed a fresh 4.2-RELEASE
via boot floppies and ftp onto a 486 and I am impressed with the changes
they have made.  It seems FreeBSD is becoming every bit as secure as
OpenBSD.

After you get the kernel updated and it does not work, rebuild your
devices...

> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV all

But I am guessing that will not be necessary, but it won't hurt.

I hope this information helps you...

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
     for hire: http://resume.offwhite.net/
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)