Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 22:48:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        rich@lamprey.utmb.edu, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, roberto@keltia.Freenix.FR
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and the new malloc

As Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> Would any of this talk of mallocs explain why I get segmentation violations
> out of xrdb on a stock 2.0.5R/XFree 3.1.1 form CD system? Or should I
> investigate a bit more?

On which server?

xrdb is programmed ugly.  It constantly dumped core when run against
an IRIX server, so i've investigated, and replaced all the "big
enough" :-) static arrays by a dynamic approach.  (The SGI server
simply had too many server extensions, and for each extension, a -D
will be added to the cpp command line.)

I've submitted my fix to the XConsortium, but haven't heard back
anything except the initial autoreply.

Try running xrdb without cpp.

--
cheers, J"org