Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 00:02:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Neil Long <neil.long@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portable CD-R or CD-RW?

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Neil Long wrote:

> Anyone running stable on a laptop know if there is support for writing to
> a portable CD-R or CD-RW drive? I was wondering about the USB interface and
> drives such as the Iomega product.

I have been using the Freecom "IQ" products for a long time (back to
fairly early FreeBSD 3.x) with good success.

They have a mix-and-match set of drives and interfaces: the drives have a
26-pin D connector which is essentially an IDE interface crammed into
fewer pins; there are then PCMCIA, USB and parallel interfaces to plug
into this.

The PCMCIA interface is the one you want: the USB wasn't supported on
FreeBSD last time I checked, and in any case its performance is worse (and
under Windows the drivers are flaky - but then what USB drivers aren't?).

On the drive side, I originally had a full-size CD-RW, but later upgraded
to the "Traveller" drive (this is a CD-RW in a case about the size of a
typical laptop CD drive, and much lighter than the full-size one).

While the traveller drive is ideal for travelling (!), the full-size drive
has come in extremely handy on occasion: it's actually just a 5.25" case
with buffer circuitry to turn the IDE interface back into a standard
40-pin connector, and then a standard desktop size drive in it.  You can
thus take out the supplied IDE CD-RW and substitute any IDE peripheral
that you want to run on your laptop - I've run DVD drives, big hard
drives, better-than-original-spec CDRW drives as the occasion demands.

> I would be mainly interested in copying gziped dd images of filesystems
> for forensic type analysis.
>
> Also interested if there is a stabl-ish -current where a Cardbus scsi
> pcmcia solution might be feasible.

I don't know about cardbus (I don't run -current on my laptops), but
PCMCIA SCSI has been known to work.  My first portable CD-RW solution was
an Adaptec 1460B card plus an external SCSI CD-RW drive.  I ditched this
primarily because the drive was in a built-like-a-tank steel case, and I
have enough trouble with the weight of my hand luggage as it is.

[Actually, my first portable CD-RW solution was a full-height tower case
PC, one of the feet off which was last seen under a train at Paddington
station.  I was highly motivated to investigate laptop CD-RW drives after
that trip...]