Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:32:19 -0700
From:      Paul Schiro <tribble@tribble.net>
To:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   MySQL 4.1 on FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE

I have an Ultra 80 w/ 2GB RAM and 4 450mhz CPUs.  I installed FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE on it and did cvsup/makeworld to get to 5.4-PRERELEASE.
I got this box with the intention of running MySQL on it.  I have
installed MySQL 4.1 from ports, no errors or anything, installed
fine.  While importing data into MySQL on this machine, it seems
to just sit around and do lots of disk i/o while the cpu sits at
8% usage.  Ok... not neccessarily a big deal, it's supposed to be
doing disk I/O not much CPU.  What is unusual (and problematic) to
me is that this same exact load w/ same mysql version on an old
dinky x86 box with FreeBSD on it takes under 3 minutes and on the
sparc64 machine it seems to stretch on forever.  So I'm wondering:
are there big problems with performance with the sym driver still
lurking?  If anyone is interested in helping me, i don't have much
time but am perfectly willing to send any config/kernconf/dmesg/etc.
infoz.  I have to have MySQL set up on this and working (efficiently)
by Monday so I will most likely wipe freebsd and install solaris
(ugh) so I can get this up and running if I can't figure out and
fix the bottleneck/issue in the next 20 hours or so.  Sorry if this
message is wacky at all I haven't slept much.

Regards,
Paul Schiro
<tribble@tribble.net>