Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:28:31 -0400
From:      "Rich Webster" <RWebster@tns-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ip routing??

I've installed a BSD box twice now on an Ethernet segment that contains a
few other machines all using ten-net addresses and a mask of 255.255.255.0
The BSD box has full IP access to the network, I can ping, ftp and telnet
anywhere from it. But I can not access it from another machine. I was
beginning to think that it was a trust relationship thing because I can not
reach the BSD box at any IP layer from another box.  I tried pinging,
telnet, and ftp and the box just does not respond unless I run something
like netstat (or route flush) and then it does respond but only while
netstat is running on the BSD box.  As soon as netstat stops the pings begin
to time out again. When I flush the routes I can reach it for a short time
but then the machine must rediscover its incorrect routing info and I begin
to time out again.  Initially I thought that maybe BSD has a problem with
classless routing.  It seems like a routing problem but I don't know whay or
why.  I am running routed.  Does this make any sense at all? Can someone
suggest some trouble shooting steps?