Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 19:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Lotoczky <rickl@ic.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Show of Hands

Hi Steve,

I have a P6DOF motherboard with a 2940UW Adaptec controller and a NCR '815
controller as well.  Since about the 1st of August or so, the SMP kernel
has been very unstable.  The UP kernel seems to behave well enough to go
for days without crashing.  The first problems which arose were the SCB issues
which were mentioned previously.  I found that deleting the AHC extensions in
the kernel seemed to resolve this problem.

On another note, during a "make world" I started to get an error message that
a vnode that was to be allocated couldn't be.  I'm not sure if this is a SMP
issue or not.

Lastly, my MB does is not MP-1.4 capable, only -1.1.  No BIOS upgrade exists
(at least one that I've been able to find).  I am back to the UP kernel now
because the SMP kernel crashes so often that I can't get mail out.  I will
send the mptable -dmesg output to you once I rebuild and reboot the SMP kernel.

I have been using the cvsup'd sources since early this year and have not built
a SNAP since about then.  I've been using the SMP kernel for the past few months
or so and it has worked well in the past.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Rick