Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 09:50:52 -0800
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   An ISP's Wishlist...

I know you've seen such things before, so I'm sending mostly to
keep the feedback coming.

First off, a hearty: Keep up the good work!  FreeBSD is great
and I'm really happy to have it.

Here's my wishlist.

	** Things that were so import that I've cobbled together
	   solutions to the following.  If someone wants what I've
	   done, contact me.

Idle time for kernel PPP sessions or at least an idle timeout.

Automatic getty detection of incoming PPP connects.

Ability to set all PPP parameters based on PAP login information.

Efficient wtmp/utmp/lastlog tracking of PAP-authorized login sessions.

Ability to add a route (not a default route) with pppd.

A better (doens't have to use /etc/passwd) POP server in ports.
(There seems to be one in the mh distribution)

	** Things that are really important

working & useful ipfw.  The filter sorting has been removed, so this
fix is in the pipeline.

fixed boca16 driver so that it doesn't hang once a week.  (No current
urgency -- I bought a pair of Cyclades 16e's to use until the boca
driver is fixed)

Better performance on ip aliases.   A friend of mine has some
proprietary mods that allow ifconfig'ing to a netmask.

A web server that doesn't have be restarted when new virtual
hosts are added.

A named that didn't die or at least restarted automatically.  Lack
of a nameserver can be a problem.  My guess is that the named problems
stem from having a system that is constantly running ifconfig...  It
doesn't seem to like to have the addresses that it binds to change.

	** Things that would ve very nice

It would be very nice to be able to have a separate configuration for
each port that named might bind to.  There are times when I want to
serve different information to different nets.  This is particularly
handy when building firewalls.

Memory efficiency.  The most expensive part of putting a system
together at the moment is memory.

automatic reboot and report of diagnostics when the system
hangs in disk wait.

Getty should track modem disconnect codes, reset the modem, and
notice incoming faxes.  I've already modified the default getty
to notice PPP connects, but that's needed here too.

Support for Win95 PPP modes that to autoconfigure DNS server

During major disk activity on disks 1 & 2, (tar | tar), small
accesses to disk 3 seem to pause for a long time.  Since the
tar|tar is a news filesystem, most of the time spent is doing
synchronous writes to disk 2.  Such writes should not cause
delays to reading disk 3.  Environment: 2.1-STABLE, ncr53c810,
disks are 7200rpm'ers from Seagate & Micropolis.

A port of 'ofiles' or 'lsof'

SMP.  Sometimes more CPU is needed.

Real layered filesystems.  In particular, I want to layer system
configurations over a read-only root filesystem that is replicated
to all my computers.

Reliable and secure NFS.  I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told
that using NFS will cause instability.

Reliable and secure NIS or an equivelent.

Randomization to prevent TCP sequence number guessing.

	** Things that would make my life easier, but don't have to
	do with the fact that I'm an ISP

Pkg_manage enhancements to show what has been installed.  I
typically install about 90% of the packages and it's a real pain
to remember what's been installed.   And don't mention that useless
unsorted list on the right.

Better support for CDROM changers: it would be nice if it figured
out a mount point by looking at the disk the way that Solaris does.

sysconfig should control the startup of xdm

Better and easier OS emulation support.  In order of importance:
Win3.1, Win95, Solaris, Macintosh (emulated), BSDI, Linux, WinNT,
DOS, Sys5.4, and SCO.  I would like to be able to call up Frame
and say, please send me a copy for ??? without worrying that it
won't work.

Better filesystem compatability.  In order: DOS (improved),
Linux (can be handled by SysV filesystem support because Linux
also has it).   Much less important: all the rest (Win95, WinNT,
OS/2, SCO, Linux native, UMSDOS)

	** Things that would be way-cool, but aren't required

Go faster.  This is in this category because FreeBSD is already
very fast.

SGI's XFS.  It dynamically allocates inodes.  It keeps directories in
btrees (so you can used big directories without dying).  It goes really
really fast.

Netscape commerce server style sysadmin interface.  (Have you installed
netscape's server lately?).  Very good for the system as a whole, for
various daemons: apache, samba, inetd, named, innd, sendmail (well, maybe
not), gated, etc.

Appletalk support.  disks, printers, Apple Remote Access.

Netware support.  Linux has it.

	** Things that appear to have been fixed by installing 2.1

Fix of whatever bug locks up my disks sometimes.
(NCR53c810 + 2 Barracudas).  Problem last seen on 2.0.5,