Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 1995 01:13:12 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: BSD Consortium? (where is the original?)

   Could someone please repost the original "BSD Consortium"
   message? It got lost to me.

The thread started from this one:

 > From hsu@cs.hut.fi Sat Mar 11 00:27:05 1995
 > From: Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
 > Newsgroups: clinet.list.freebsd-hackers
 > Subject: New Cyclades Driver needs Major Device #?
 > Date: 8 Mar 1995 16:36:19 +0200
 > Sender: news@elvis.clinet.fi
 > To: brian@MediaCity.com (Brian Litzinger)
 > Cc: freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com

... discussion about major numbers for Cyclades driver

 >    p.s.s. while I'm here anyway, why are netBSD and FreeBSD different efforts?
 >
 > Well, there are several possible reasons:
 >
 > - Linux people's secret plan to make sure *BSD won't ever be successfull.
 >
 > - USL's secret plan to make sure free operating systems won't ever be
 > successfull.
 >
 > - BSDI's secret plan to make sure free BSD versions won't ever be
 > successfull.
 >
 > - Free operating system authors have got too much ego.
 >
 > I'll promise to donate $100 of my own, and, say $400 of my company money to
 > BSD (or Free operating system) Consortium if one will ever be set up to get
 > rid of this mess.
 >
 > --
 > Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
 > hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN

Some of the replies have only ended up into my mailbox.  None of them
contains a sum less than $100.

I don't strongly oppose there to be different efforts, just that they
coordinate the interfaces and the base Berkeley source code heritage
instead of disintegrating them.  A consortium dedicated to do this
coordination a'la X would seem to be a workable concept (I guess everything
else has already been tried).