Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:28:00 -0600
From:      Rich Neswold <rneswold@enteract.com>
To:        supenguin@bigfoot.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handspring.

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

Wasn't it  9-Feb-2001, at 11:17PM, when Kenny Drobnack said:
> As far as syncing a Handspring Visor with FreeBSD - dunno. Tried using
> the coldsync program which was meant for syncing Palm Pilots, and the
> coldsync web page claims that it works with Visors too.  When I run
> coldsync, I get a message "Please press the hotsync button" and when I
> hit the button I get the message two more times, and then either it
> locked up or the whole system locks up.  Same results using a serial
> cradle instead of the USB cradle that came with it.  I noticed Linux has
> a Handspring Visor driver, not sure what's up with that.

I'm successfully sync'ing my Visor using FreeBSD.

I'm using the cold-sync port to do this. I needed to modify /etc/usbd.conf
to recognise the Visor when the hot-sync button is pressed. 'usbd' then
runs 'coldsync' under my account and does the right thing. You specify the
generic USB driver (/dev/ugen0) to communicate with the Visor.

A warning: If you pull the Visor from the cradle before 'usbd' has
completed its USB disconnect cycle, the driver shuts itself down. The only
way to recover (that I've seen) is to reboot.

There is a USB driver for the Visor in OpenBSD. I pulled over the source
file to try to build it, though I haven't had the chance to actually
incorpoarte it into the kernel (I still need to find out how to add a USB
driver to the kernel source tree, what changes need to be made to support
FreeBSD, etc.)

Anyways, it's nice being able to sync the Visor without having to log in or
out...

--=20
 Rich Neswold

 efax: 1.240.536.7092