Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 02:41:31 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly), drgboc@accnorwalk.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up an isp on bsd

At 05:02 AM 1/12/98 GMT, John Kelly wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:10:43 -0500, drgboc@accnorwalk.com wrote:
>
>>I am currently working as a PC technician for a medium sized
>>office products company.  In '97 the company added the computer
>>department.  We primarily sell and service PC's and printers but,
>>against my wishes, we have started designing and hosting web pages on
>>our LAN's NT server via our T-1.  The inherent security risks to this
>>arrangement alone scares the wits out of me on a regular basis.  I don't
>>have the foggiest idea what can go wrong or how to go about preventing
>>it.  Today, our CEO informed me that she wants to start an ISP by the
>>second quarter...
>
>Was it PT Barnum who said there's a sucker born every minute?

I've heard this plenty myself and if they do go ahead, you better segment
the ISP side from the rest of the LAN.  Run some proxy that is nailed down
or get a dual ethernet router..  I may be consulting with a couple places
planning such a move, but wouldn't want a FT position for something likely
to fail or be perpetually small.

>> Am I right in thinking FreeBSD can do the job?
>
>Yep.

Seconded.

>> Or am I just whistling Dixie?
>
>I'm doing much the same as your Madame CEO, but I'm a computer
>professional with 20 years experience, and I've devoted much of the
>last year to learning FreeBSD.

Certainly an advantage he doesn't have.

>Any executive who tells one of their employees to suddenly jump in the
>ISP ocean and swim is a fool.  But look on the bright side.  After you
>try it for a year and your company loses its shirt, then you can put a
>year's experience on your resume and go get a job at a real ISP.

ROFL!

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
mountin.man@mixcom.com