Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:05:41 +0100
From:      Michiel Boland <michiel@boland.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   intellipark leads to high load cycle count

Hi. I have one of those new green WD HDs with Intellipark, that is, they  like
to park their heads every 8 seconds. As a result the load cycle count grows at
an alarming rate. (If I understand correctly this number should not exceed about
300k or so.)

# dmesg | grep ad4
ad4: 953869MB <WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 80.00A80> at ata2-master UDMA100
GEOM: ad4: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad4: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad4s1: geometry does not match label (32h,32s != 16h,63s).
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a

# smartctl -a /dev/ad4 | grep Load
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   188   188   000    Old_age   Always       -
      38319

Is there any way to turn off or increase the 8-second timeout? Or do I have to
bin the disk and use something better?

I don't want to boot into DOS, windows or any of that stuff. I also tried
ataidle to no effect.

Cheers
Michiel