Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 03:45:24 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Subject:   Problem with spamlogd

I am using spamd on several systems and started encountering a problem =
awhile ago with FreeBSD 7.2 servers, but let it go since I am in the =
process of upgrading the servers.  However, I now am encountering the =
same issue on FreeBSD 9.0 with spamlogd.  It never reads pflog0.  pflogd =
reads the entries just fine.  I set up syslog to log all the spamlogd =
messages and when spamlogd is started it gives:

spamlogd: Listening on pflog0 for all interfaces.=20

lsof shows that it is connected to bpf0 as is pflogd.  However, pflogd =
shows an offset into the file that appears to be the end of the file.  =
spamlogd shows an offset of 0.  It is periodically reading the file as =
shown by ktrace but always getting back a 0 size return.  spamd itself =
is working just fine.  However, the expiration times are not being =
updated so white entries are timed out way too often.  spamlogd used to =
update them.  The rc.conf entries are:

obspamd_enable=3D"YES"
obspamd_flags=3D"-G 2:1:1728"
obspamd_setup_flags=3D""
obspamd_grey=3DYES
obspamlogd_enable=3D"YES"
obspamlogd_flags=3D"-W 1728"

These were established a few years ago and worked up till short while =
ago.  I don't recall any changes I made to anything, but=85

Looking through the spamlogd source it appears to be building a filter =
for the pcap routines with:

"ip and port 25 and action pass and tcp[13]&0x12=3D0x2"

Using that filter on pflog yields no output.  I believe the pass item =
requires there to be some logging of the pass actions and those are not =
appearing in the pflog or in the pfctl counts for those rules.  I =
suspect that is the problem.  The pf.conf is: (mail server is on this =
machine)

ext_if=3D"em0"

table <blackhole> persist file "/etc/blackhole"
table <spamd> persist
table <spamd-white> persist
table <spamd-white-local> persist file "/etc/mail/whitelist"

no rdr on { lo0, lo1 } from any to any

no rdr on { lo0, lo1 } from any to any
MAILHOSTS =3D "{zool.lafn.org 10.0.1.10}"

rdr pass log on $ext_if inet proto tcp from <spamd-white-local> to port =
smtp -> 127.0.0.1 port smtp
rdr pass log on $ext_if inet proto tcp from <spamd-white> to port smtp =
-> 127.0.0.1 port smtp
rdr pass log on $ext_if inet proto tcp to $MAILHOSTS port smtp -> =
127.0.0.1 port spamd

pass in on lo0

pass in log on $ext_if inet proto tcp to 127.0.0.1 port smtp
pass out log on $ext_if inet proto tcp from 127.0.0.1 to any port smtp

block in quick log on $ext_if from <blackhole> to any