Date:      12 Aug 2002 14:48:59 +0200
From:      Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tar from linux to remote freebsd-server

Hi all,

I am trying to get a little deeper into tar.
I want to use tar to move an archive from a Mandrake Linux system to a
Freebsd 4.6 system.
The FreeBSD-System hast rshd and rlogind running and tar & gtar are
installed. In root's .rhosts file I have the appropriate entry to allow
root access from the Mandrake Linux client (rshd works, I tried).

On the Mandrake Linux machine I type:
# tar cvpf 192.168.0.1:/root/hyzic.tgz Praktikum\ HyZic/

In response I get "Can't execute open"...

On my Mandrake System thereis a program /usr/bin/open. In the man pages
it says: open - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT).
There is no open on my FreeBSD box, so this looks to be the problem.
Anything I can do about that?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jan Lentfer