Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 23:33:08 -0500
From:      "Zane C. B-H." <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 18:49:45 +0300
Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg> wrote:

>=20
> On 04.06.12 18:04, xenophon\+freebsd wrote:

It is part of the protocol, Exchanged ActiveSync, used by Exchange
based mobile devices.

> >> In this regard I rather prefer the way Apple handles things.
> >> Shiny wrapper interface to pretty much generic technology. No
> >> reinvention of the wheel and experiments to see if it can be made
> >> square.
> > You can't damn Microsoft for being too proprietary in one
> > paragraph and then praise Apple for its openness in the next.
> > Does not compute.
>=20
> I don't care how proprietary an proprietary thing is. If it is
> correctly implemented, it is ok, if it is not correctly
> implemented, it is not ok. Microsoft's "wipe trough Exchange" is
> weird, to put it mildly. Apple too had a track record of doing many
> proprietary things, but in recent years their offerings are, as I
> mentioned earlier, pretty much generic standard and widespread
> protocols with a lot of sugar coating.

=46rom a enterprise perspective, it makes sense. Lets say a device goes
missing, it allows one to wipe it the next time it calls home.

The usefulness of such a feature is better disconnected from the
debate of proprietary v. non-proprietary though, given the different
nature of both issues.