Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 15:08:14 -0500
From:      mtaylor@gateway.cybernet.com (Mark J. Taylor)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Joystick driver available

>> Hi fellow gamers!
>>
>> I have uploaded a joystick driver at ftp.cdrom.com:
>> /pub/FreeBSD/incoming/joystick.tar.gz
>
>Thinking of possible applications (other than games) of a joy stick:
>
>Input device for X11.
>
>Does anyone know how to make X see it?

We (Cybernet Systems) actually implemented a driver, the MultiMouse, which
looks like a MouseSystems mouse to FreeBSD/XFree86, but it is actually
talking over a socket to our mouse driver, which takes multiple input
channels and converts them to 2-byte deltas and left-middle-right buttons
of a MouseSystems mouse.

Originally, we wrote it to support a touchscreen simultaneously with a
mouse under XFree86 (the system we wrote it for does not usually have a
real mouse), and since then it has grown to support a socket-based protocol
which we call the Motion Platform Communications (MPC) protocol, as well as
Microsoft Mice (in addition to the MouseSystems Mouse support).  The
Microsoft Mouse addition took all of 2 hours to add to the server.  I
suspect that adding a joystick to it would be just as easy.  I would need
to add 1) a parser for the joystick entry in the configuration file, 2) a
setup routine, 3) a routine which passes the deltas and buttons back.

I won't post another message to this group regarding this product, unless
prompted to.  Sorry about this "commercial" message.

If anyone has any comments, questions, etc., email me.  I will respond
privately.  If there are concerns about source code availability, please
email me and we'll talk...

-Mark Taylor
Cybernet Systems
mtaylor@cybernet.com