Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 16:43:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   setnetparms - setup network environment at boot time

Hi,

i have just uploaded a small utility package to ftp.freebsd.org into
FreeBSD/incoming with filename setnetparms.tar.gz which i think is very
useful in FreeBSD based laptop environments.

It lets you specify i.e. the IP address, subnetmask, hostname and other
parameter at boot time in a menu based utility which is configurable by
very(!) simple text files.

I'm using it for quite some time now on my laptop to simply plug into
the networks of customers which don't even know what bootp or DHCP is.

It lacks any form of error detection or recovery, it has no manual pages
and if i would see this code for the first time i would say that its a hack.

Constructive feedback welcome!

Have fun,
hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis    HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH    Hamburg, Europe
    In their infinite wisdom, the folks at HP have decided that mere mortals