Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 03:01:34 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Steve B." <steveb99@earthlink.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no> wrote:

> > Exceptions are great, but there are too many gotchas because the
> > behavior is not standardizes well enough to depend on them.  (And, if
> > you're not careful, you can cause yourself *all* sorts of problems using
> > them.)
>
>        I'd *really* like an example of this. The only serious
>argument I've heard about exceptions in the last couple of years is
>that they are inefficient, and even that is not a valid argument for
>avoiding them completely.

Error handling in general is difficult when you have to clean up
partially-completed operations, and although C++ helps a lot by
giving you automatic destructors, there are still times when the
whole idea gives me the heebie-jeebies. What happens when an
automatic destructor throws an exception when the stack is being
unwound in the course of handling an exception?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@dotat.at>
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: NORTHWESTERLY 5 OR 6, OCCASIONALLY 7,