Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2008 04:40:03 GMT
From:      Nate Eldredge <neldredge@math.ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/128259: "`" crashes csh

The following reply was made to PR amd64/128259; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nate Eldredge <neldredge@math.ucsd.edu>
To: Jack Low <xxjack12xx@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

 On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Jack Low wrote:

 > If you type "`" in the csh shell, the shell crashes
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 > Type "`" and hit enter.
 >> Fix:

 Thanks for the report, Jack.

 I suspect this is related to bin/125185, which involved csh improperly
 messing with global state in a vfork'ed subshell.  Note that for both the
 present bug and 125185, the crash does not occur if csh is run with -F to
 use fork() instead of vfork().

 nate@vulcan:/usr/home/nate$ csh
 %"`"
 Unmatched `.
 Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)
 nate@vulcan:/usr/home/nate$ csh -F
 %"`"
 Unmatched `.
 %

 I'll repeat my recommendation from 125185 that -F be made the default, so
 that vfork() is not used.

 I doubt that this bug is amd64 specific but don't have another machine to
 make sure at the moment.  Probably it should be reclassified as "bin".
 It's also present in 7.0-RELEASE, by the way.

 --

 Nate Eldredge
 neldredge@math.ucsd.edu